- Natural gas tankless water heaters can be ventilated in two ways: direct vent and power vent. In a direct vent setup, the unit draws in air from outside through one vent and expels exhaust through another vent. They can be easily used in attics and smaller rooms as long as there is access to a roof vent. Power vent units draw in air from the surroundings using a fan; the exhaust again goes outside. This system typical requires a larger indoor area.
- Though direct vent heaters need two vents – one for intake and the other for exhaust – there is no need for two ventilation pipes no matter which vent system you are using. Some of them come with concentric venting where there is a single pipe that performs both intake and exhaust. There are several advantages to concentric vents. As it is a single pipe there is no need to make more than one hole in the ceiling. Moreover, unlike the exhaust pipes that are extremely hot to touch, the concentric vents are cool to the touch due to the incoming air, making them safer.
- Tankless waters heaters can also be exhausted through floor or wall vents rather than the roof. This would make them especially well suited to temporary structures in need of hot water or in the lower floors of multi-storey homes.
- In warmer climates, tankless venting units are easy to install as they don’t require any external additional venting techniques. Moreover, the rapid heat generation makes tankless units perfect for low temperature climates as well making them an ideal water heating solution.
- Short bursts and direct heating make exhaust temperatures low enough that these type of water heaters you can use PVC or polypropylene for the venting purpose, making it a less expensive option.
- Tankless heaters are very space efficient, fitting snuggly to a wall inside the large closets in most homes designed for big water tanks. The same ventilation system used for a conventional heater can be retrofitted for a tankless model.
- There are many commercial and large residential applications that require multiple tankless units but with the tankless version you don’t need more than one vent.
- Certification: Make the purchase from a certified dealer who is qualified to work with the unit you’ve purchase and maintain it.
- Quality: Check out reviews from others who have had the unit installed to see which model will perform best to your expectations.
- Price: Get at least two quotes from local installers and dealers. It would also be helpful to consider the cost savings you could see from each tankless model.
- Installation: Don’t try to install any gas appliance on your own. Professional expertise matters for both correct operation and your safety.
A working hot water heater is an absolute must in every Edmond household, especially with winter approaching. Water heaters don’t last forever, so it’s imperative to take proper care of them. There are many service providers who offer water heater maintenance in Edmond, Oklahoma, though there some maintenance measures you can try yourself.
- When water is heated, it deposits calcium carbonate at the bottom of the heater. Layers of this sediment are quite harmful for your heater as it affects the life span of the heater along with its storage capacity and efficiency. In order to combat these harmful effects, drain the water from the heater tank completely every three or four months. To do this, turn off the heater; screw on a garden hose to the bottom spigot of the tank and empty the water into the drain near the heater (there’s one in every home). You might notice that the water in the bottom of the tank has a milky or brown color.
- At times the sediment sticks to the valve. Draining the water is not enough. Open and reseal the envelope a few times for the sediment to fall off from the valve. Once done, switch on the water heater as the last step.
- Most of the water heater models come with a temperature-pressure relief safety measure that allows the extra pressure or high temperature to pass off by opening the lid of the valve. If that fails to happen it will lead to an explosion. Every year, you should make sure that the valve is clean and functioning properly. If there is any sediment stuck to it, call your plumber to get it clean and functional. You need to replace the temperature-pressure relief valve immediately to prevent an accident.
- Most consumer safety organizations suggest that you should set your thermostat to 120°F. However, they fail to mention one important factor. If the water temperature is below 120°F it could become a breeding ground for bacteria making the water unhealthy for drinking.
- Many of us end up insulating the water heater especially when they are kept in the garage. If so then go for the insulation kits that are specially created for this purpose.
- As earthquakes have become more common in Oklahoma, it’s a good idea to install water heater strap kits in order to prevent the water heater from tipping over in an event of a tremor.
If You Use Gas-Fired Water Heaters use the following measures:
- Always keep the area around the water heater clean and free of any combustible items. Make sure that the area is free of dirt, dust, and grime and that no flammable products are kept nearby.
- Most city codes in central Oklahoma actually require the water heater to be elevated by 18 inches from the floor in case of spills or dust accumulation. This distance from the floor will ensure that even if there are any gasoline fumes rising from the floor, they will be too lean to be ignited by the heater flame.
- According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, nearly 200 people die every year from carbon monoxide poisoning. Always keep a carbon monoxide detector near any gas appliances.
- If you smell the sulphur added to natural gas, especially far from the gas heater, leave your house and call the fire department. A severe gas leak can be extremely dangerous, and unless you know exactly what you’re doing, avoid the source of the leak until it is repaired by a professional.
The best way to ensure safe and reliable operation of your water heater is to hire the services of a local water heater maintenance professional. A good maintenance protocol should include visits at least twice a year so that your water heater remains clean and functional. If you browse online, you will come across many service providers in the Edmond area. Go ahead and call them today!
A very important part of your home system is certainly your water heating system. Once it is installed right into the pipelines or in the bathing supplies, there is certain cost involved in its maintenance and inspection. This way, the money which is used for purchasing these products and certainly in your home would not go down. If you want to avoid wasting money on various inefficient hot water systems, be aware of certain tips which could keep the water heater in good working condition.
As soon as temperature begins to drop, it reminds you of few good friends that never left your side during those chilly days. Along with warm woolens, you remember (rather feel) the necessity of water-heater. Throughout the year you hardly paid any attention to it, never cared for its maintenance but you want it to offer its service with 100 percent precision. If this is the reality then this idea needs to be fixed before we offer you tips to find and fix the leakage of a water heater.
How to diagnose the problem?
It is not hard to find that your water-heater is leaking. Water seepage in the chamber room could be easily diagnosed when you enter it. Its severity could differ but a pool of water (big or small) inside the chamber room would at once make you aware of the problem. Otherwise if the heater pipe has been leaking then the damp walls would lead you detect the problem.
Water heaters are indispensible household articles and modern technologies are making them more intelligent all the time. Unlike traditional water heaters, the latest models are incorporating technological advancements to offer better services at lower prices. That is, unlike in the past when you would have incurred huge electric bill for running your water heater, you could use them without giving much thought about the cost. In addition, many models of water heater are using renewable sources of energy thereby reducing their carbon imprint and at a marginal operating cost. Certainly technology is making our lives easier and paving the way for a bright future for our posterity.
As weather brings down the mercury, along with woolen clothes, you realize the indispensability of water heaters. In every cleaning activity, we require water and probably our water heater is the most significant but understated article of home plumbing system. It is true that we have invested good deal of money on it and expect it to function properly for longer duration. But do you know that maintenance of water heater is of high importance to enhance its life? With time, sediments do lots of damages to it and maintenance service is very important to keep it running in ideal condition.
So you are thinking to buy a new home? Before you take a decision to make such a large investment, we suggest inspecting the entire home. Check it brick by brick, including the plumbing, even before you are able to close the deal. To note the plumbing defects you must check out the simple home-buying plumbing tips before you invest in a new home in Edmond. Here are some eminent plumbing tips that will ensure you to have a proper kitchen and toilet repairs, basement flooding check and water heater repair in Edmond before you buy a home.
Check the main sewer lineIt is important for you to check the sewage system of the house that you intend to buy. Check whether the waste goes to the municipal sewer system. Find out if the septic tank is installed or not. If the house uses a septic tank you need to find out where is it located. Check the capacity of the tank and the location of the drain field. You need to set up a camera line inspection to save you from expensive repairs. You must ask the seller of the house about the plumbing history of the home and also ask if any of the work is still under warranty.
Do not forget to inspect the hot water heaterIf you consider water heater repair in Edmond, then make sure that you know the capacity, location and how old is the tank of your new home. The home buyers must ensure how large is the water heater tank. Will it be able to accommodate the needs of your family? Say a 40-gallon tank is enough for a family of four. If possible, do check for the mineral deposits inside the tank. Mineral deposits can settle inside the tank to a large amount leaving less room for hot water. You must verify the age of the water heater. It is general for a water heater to exist until 12 years. But, if the water heater is older than 12 years, then look for signs of corrosion. You must see the tank from below for any kind of leaks or drips. You must also go for a visual inspection or else water heater repair in Edmond can be expensive.
Check for the leaks in your kitchen and bathroomAfter you confirm the water heater repair in Edmond check the bathroom and kitchen faucets prior to buying a new home in Edmond. Faucets should be in workable condition and free of any noticeable leaks. Make sure that you do not forget to notice a dripping faucet or a shower, which earlier might look as a minor thing but later turn up into a huge expenditure. If the new home has a refrigerator and if it has an ice maker in it, find the water supply line and inspect it visually to recognize any leaks. You might consider a plastic supply line in this case instead of a copper line. Check all the toilets in your new home and ensure that the flush empties and fills properly. Wait until the tanks fill and listen for the obvious sounds of leaking. You need to inspect the base of each toilet for evidence to prior leaks.
Make sure to avoid frozen pipes in the winterIn order to reduce the risks of a pipe bursting in the home, make sure you check all the pipes and vents are properly wrapped. This is going to help the pipes stay protected from the harsh winter conditions.
Check for basement floodingBasement flooding is a very common thing in Edmond. It is important for new home buyers to check for the pump. Find out if any backup system is installed. This is very common and mostly happens when the power goes out and the system fails to work any longer. It is important to make your home check with the help of professional to confirm if you need a water heater repair in Edmond or a kitchen or bathroom repair or a basement leakage fixing prior to investing in a new home. Our licensed technicians will always help you to make sure that you do not waste your money in buying a wrong home.
Many homeowners fail to realize that hot water is a luxury. In many parts of the world, it’s not possible to find a hot shower and only very few can afford hot water in their homes. Edmond, Oklahoma is “A Great Place to Grow” as they say, but we often take luxuries like hot water for granted. Every drop of hot water has a price.Obviously, you pay for the water to get treated and delivered to your home, which is amazing in itself; but then you have to pay for electricity or natural gas to create heat needed to raise the water temperature. After you turn on the faucet and take a hot shower, it’s easy to forget that the hot water you are using runs on electricity or gas. With the cost of energy on the rise, we pay more and more for the heat in our hot water.
Water heaters and purifiers are some of the most essential gadgets particularly during Edmond’s bitter winter months. The need for water heating is acute in many places throughout the US. Once you invest in a water heater, you can rest assured that with proper care, the heater will last for at least a decade. Water heaters are available in various types and technologies. One type may be more energy efficient than another, but with a little awareness and disciplined practice you can ensure that you use the water heater that you have at home at its best possible energy efficiency.
Getting a new water heater in Edmond is easy given the options around you. The question is when to replace the water heater or whether you can get a couple more years out of it with maintenance and repairs. In most cases, when the water heater starts malfunctioning we tend to think of replacement rather than repair, but it can often be repaired fairly easily and used for a few more years. For this purpose, it is important to hire an expert water heater repair technician from a reputable, certified company. They will not only repair the old water heater but can also give you a fair idea about whether you will need to replace the water heater at all in the near future.
Newly purchased water heaters come with an energy label factor, energy guide and information on the energy efficiency of the water heaters. You can also use the labels to compare the energy efficiency of water heaters. When looking for a water heater, it is important to have the specifications of the brand or make you want for your home.
The average lifespan of a water heaters is 13 years. However, newer water heater models are more energy efficient than older models. A new, energy efficient water heater can save you considerable amounts of money over its lifespan.